Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The final stretch - Krabi

I definitely have fewer days left than what I've already spent but for those who know me well, I'm not itching to get back home, as I usually am at this stage of a vacation. It may have something to do with the fact that at the end of this vacation I will be leaving Janie for another 7, 8 or 9 months or it may just very well have to do with Thailand. I think it's a combination of the two. All this to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying my vacation time and I hope to do so until the very last minute.

Janie and I bid farewell to Karon early this morning when we got into a mini-van with 10 other people to go to Krabi. I was very happy not to be sitting in the front seat because I couldn't exactly see all the close calls as our driver was quite fast and aggressive on the road. I spent most of my time listening to music on my iPod and looking at the amazing scenery around me. We are now in the area where they have limestone stacks (karsts) all around so it is quite impressive to see. It certainly doesn't resemble any of the mountains we have in Canada. I also spent a bit of time fending off the Italian guy who sat/slept on the seat beside mine because he wasn't just hungover, he was still drunk when he got into the van and he was sometimes trying to get touchy/feely to which I would simply answer "Don't touch". Another funny experience for the books!

We arrived in Krabi 3.5 hours after leaving Karon ad headed immediately to our low budget hotel called "The Greenery". It wasn't too far from where we were dropped off in Krabi Town so we decided to walk. Apparently I made quite the funny sight with me lugging my huge Ricardo of Beverly Hills suitcase (it really belongs to Janie and she asked me to bring it half empty to take some of her stuff back) plus two Roots small backpacks along the sometimes non-existent sidewalks of Krabi. I for one was very happy when I saw the sign for our hotel because I was getting pooped. Our room is OK and cheap (Janie is on a budget after all...) so after a few minutes to catch my breath we were off to find sustenance (food) and to book a tour for tomorrow. We are now booked on a one-day tour of Phi Phi Islands (pronounced PP) for tomorrow and we'll see about Friday when we get back. We had lunch at May & Mark's (recommended by Lonely Planet) and had a great time talking with a couple from France (husband from the UK, wife from South of France) and the owner Martee. Got a lot of info about the king and his heir and all of the holidays in Thailand. The UK man also had many stories about Canada that made us laugh. Had the best pizza I've had in Thailand (curry pizza) with pork satay and 2 diet cokes that Janie and I split for the low price of 240 baht ($8.00 Canadian). After lunch we sauntered across the street for a well deserved manicure and pedicure (after all that walking and carrying extra heavy suitcases) for 200 baht each ($6 something). I swear I could live here forever with my retirement savings...

Janie has decided to return to Bangkok with me on Saturday so I will get to spend one extra day with her and that means I won't have to book my last night's hotel on my own (I so suck at this and she is great at it so I let her do everything...).

That's it for now.

6 comments:

Evaconstance said...

Hi Johanne,

This trip seems to be a WOW !!! experience, Asia wasn't really on my list of place to visit, but I have to admit that your trip really got my interest.
Enjoy all the precious moment with your sister and come back to us in great shape(eh! she have to share you with us). Big hug and see you soon

Eva

jackie said...

Sis,

I'm glad you're spending Saturday with Janie. Dont want to have to worry about TWO sisters alone in Asia !

I'm really anxious to see you. Just a few more days now.

Love Jackie

mary said...

Hey Johanne, glad you will spend your last day with "la petite". was a bit worried when you said you would have to spend the last day on your own....enjoy till the very end and I am sure you will meet up with her later on on her adventure. Plus you have 2 more sisters waiting anxiously for you her and friends o course....bye for now.....see you on Monday.

Unknown said...

Your pictures are breathtaking,

Just beautiful,

Love Julie

I can't wait to see you

Janie said...

I just got around to reading your last post. I don't quite remember me being so "good" at booking our last hotel in Bangkok. Frustrated, annoyed, impatient was more like it...

But still, I was glad to do it.

Talk to you soon!

Love Janie

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.